Jo’s professional philosophy has been one of venturing to a new destination first, research it thoroughly and then pass on firsthand information to her clients. She has now visited some 156 countries on the list kept by the USA Travelers’ Century Club.
Jo has now celebrated over a quarter of a century in her own eco adventure travel business.
She often presents on past travels inspiring new travels and providing planning insights to potential travellers.
Major achievements as told by Jo
- Spotted all the (17) penguin species in the wild
- Sighted a tiger in Nepal from elephant back
- Sighted mountain Gorillas in the DRC
- Sighted polar bears swimming in Wager Bay, Canada, Spitsbergen and Greenland; grizzlies in Kamchatka, pandas in China and the Komodo Dragon in Indonesia
- Swam in the Antarctic Ocean
- Slept in the Ice Hotel near Kiruna, Sweden at -5° C
- Elected Fellow of the Royal Geographic Society in 1995
- Joined the USA Travelers’ Century Club in 1989
- Flew on one of the last Concorde flights in Sept 2003
Jo Meintjes Travel can arrange tours to all 7 continents;
- Arctic and Antarctic
- USA & Canada
- Central America, including Costa Rica
- South America: Ecuador with Galapagos Islands; Peru, Venezuela, Chile including Easter Island, Argentina and Brazil
- Europe for Ice Hotel, Dog sledding, Northern Lights; Opera tours in Italy
- Africa to wilderness areas
- Asia from Central Asia to Japan
- Australasia with South Pacific islands
Tours can be land only, expedition cruises and rail trips or a mixture of all three.